Waterlogging due to heavy rainfall in several parts of Mumbai
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted intense rainfall in Mumbai on Saturday and Sunday due to a low-pressure area over the Bay of Bengal. The weather department also issued warnings for inclement weather along the west coast. Heavy rainfall is also expected in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts of Maharashtra.
Here are the live updates of rains in Maharashtra:
Train traffic affected due to heavy rains
- Central Railway: The trains on trans-harbor and fourth corridor towards Kharkopar on Central Railway are running smoothly. However, due to intense rains, trains on main and harbor line are running at cautious speed, hence delayed.
Normal life hit due to heavy rains in MaharashtraNormal life hit in Maharashtra due to heavy rains. An autorickshaw wading through water-logged street of Mumbai.
Visuals of rains playing havoc in Maharashtra
Parts of Mumbai and adjoining areas water-logged
- Many parts of Mumbai and its adjoining areas recorded heavy rains overnight. This has led to waterlogging in many areas including Goregaon, Kandivali and Dahisar.
- Flight services at the Mumbai airport have largely been unaffected so far.
- Mumbai’s municipal body, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has meanwhile warned citizens to avoid the sea following the possibility of a high tide which is expected to hit the city later today.
- KS Hosalikar, Deputy Director General of Meteorology, India Met Department, Mumbai, tweeted, that the 4.90 metre tide expected to hit this afternoon will be the “highest high tide of the four monsoon months”.
- He said that intense rainfall will continue in north Konkan areas including Mumbai, Thane and Palghar for next 4-6 hours.
Central Railway trains are running late
- Due to rains, Central Railway trains are running late by 15 to 20 minutes
- Chief Public Relations Officer of Central Railway Sunil Udasi said trains on the line are running at a “cautious speed” as a precautionary measure.
Waterlogging visuals from Palghar Maharashtra
- After heavy rainfall in Palghar district of Maharashtra, streets were waterlogged.
Landslide on Mumbai-Goa national highway
- Mumbai-Goa national highway in Maharashtra closed for traffic following a landslide caused by rainfall.
- The landslide occurred in the wee hours of Saturday. The road-clearing operation is underway by the police and administration.
- The Indian Meteorological Department predicted “heavy to very heavy” rainfall at few places for the next few days in Konkan and other parts of south Maharashtra.
- Strong winds with speed reaching 40-50 kmph gusting to 60 kmph likely to prevail along and off Maharashtra coast, says the weather department
Water-logging in different areas of Mumbai
- Due to overnight heavy rains in Mumbai, visuals show water-logging.
Mumbai records heavy rains
- Many parts of Mumbai and its adjoining areas recorded heavy rains overnight.
- This led to traffic being affected in areas of Malad, Andheri and Dahisar Subway.
- The weather office has warned off heavy rains to continue in Mumbai with a “red alert”.